I took a class a couple of weeks (or is it a few weeks ago now!) on bead embroidery. I have done bead embroidery in the past (back in the 90s. . . doing fancy vests. . .), but I had not done a cuff or used cabachon beads. Here is a picture of my project part way through.
I was glad I took the class, but a bit frustrated at a few things. The biggest is that the instructor cut my bracelet too small because the pattern was off center from the larger piece that I had bought. That, and the piece in the back has a couple of staple holes in it. But knowing that I’m learning something new, I decided to still go with it and try some new techniques out.
What I learned from this one:
- How to attach the back with a picot edging
- How to do a thread embroidery around the side of the bead, but that my embroidery needed to be higher to secure the bead
- To use spray adhesive to attach the interfacing to the back of the project.
So instead of doing a lot of beads and really playing this bracelet up, I decided to do just a little and finish it up. Okay, partly because I asked the instructor to teach me the picot stitch before I was done with the front beading so I didn’t have to come back again. So it wasn’t easy getting to some of the beading sections on the front since she used double sided tape to hold the backing to the front while we did the stitching. That was all my fault because I asked her to, but it made it hard to do a decent amount of beading work on the front. But all said, I’m really pleased at how it came out.
And here is a picture of me wearing it.
I’m now excited to try this from start to finish on my own. I’m not going to rush in and do something quickly, but take my time. I’ve purchased some new trim and a couple of different interfacings to try. So we’ll see how it goes when I do one on my own!